And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Same in Alaska. Hurricane country is another ball game all together.

What annoys me here is that not only do you need strapping from the foundation to the studs outside, it's also required to strap the studs to the plates inside. That makes for some wavy ass sheetrock, and is really just ridiculous.

Exterior sheathing here (OSB is standard) is required to be nailed every 3 inches at the seams. Now I can kind of understand some engineer sitting at his desk thinking this will strengthen the shear walls, but you only need to visit one job site to understand that nailing OSB 3" apart completely disintegrates the integrity of the OSB. So it has absolutely the opposite effect. 

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2

After suffering from what I thought was a head cold for week and a half, I woke up this morning with a bloody, purulent discharge from my left ear.  So off I went to the local Med Center and then to Costco for the antibiotics.  I think that this is the first ear infection I've had since I was a young child.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, guzziguy said:

After suffering from what I thought was a head cold for week and a half, I woke up this morning with a bloody, purulent discharge from my left ear.  So off I went to the local Med Center and then to Costco for the antibiotics.  I think that this is the first ear infection I've had since I was a young child.

:(  Sympathies.  Also: yeezh.

9 hours ago, guzziguy said:

Thanks.  I knew that the ear drum was now perforated but didn't think about water.  I need to shower soon.  Would you suggest stuffing a bit of cotton ball into the ear or something like that to block the water?

Hopefully the Amoxicillin I'm taking will knock this down quickly.

Definitely. You may put some vaseline on the cotton and kneading it to get a dough-like texture, which will be more effective to protect the ear from water.

If you  don't get any better in 48h and the ear keeps draining, send me a PM ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, Antonio.  I'll use the vaseline and cotton trick for this mornings shower.  So far the antibiotic hasn't made a huge difference.  There still is some draining, though nothing like yesterday when my ear canal was full of discharge.

I plan on making an appointment with my ENT tomorrow.  I'll keep you in the loop.

We visited vet twice today. One of the cats got food poisoning. Got 5 shots and some serous fluid, she was/still is dehydrated cuz of excessive vomiting and diarrhea. Still critical.

Other has serious attacks of cough. got 2 shots. We took 3 cats in the house. My father and I watching them in rotation. But in return of stressful day, we did find a really good and idealist vet.

On 12.11.2016 at 11:02 PM, guzziguy said:

Get well soon sir. I have a trick can be useful. Get some cotton pieces enough to close ear canal. Wet them (preferable with alcohol for debacterization), shape them tight and left for dry as many as you might need. Then use vaseline on the half of it for closing enterence of the canal, enough to make pluging watertight. Dry side goes in, Vaseline residuals may effect the infected area badly.

Went to see The Grinning Man, a dark new musical based on a Victor Hugo's book The Man Who Laughs. This is at a small theatre called the Bristol Old Vic, the theatre that has been open the longest in the UK, opening its doors in 1766. The director of The Grinning Man is the same guy who directed War Horse

It was bewilderingly good - I am still reeling at the whole experience. It was the last night - and it has only been running for one month. But that will not be the end for a production that was several years from first concept to the stage. I would say it was certainly destined for the West End, and for Broadway - For me it had more impact than Les Miserables, and deserves real success. A standing ovation, and tears shed by the audience, and oddly by the cast - although that was probably final night blues.

There was a silent movie made of the book in 1928, and the story of facial disfigurement was the inspiration for The Joker.

http://www.bristololdvic.org.uk/grinningman.html

• Like 6

On 11/12/2016 at 3:02 PM, guzziguy said:

Feel better Ken.

Three days after the Grinning Man, we went to the (London) Old Vic last night to see Glenda Jackson as King Lear. There are actually two productions of King Lear in London at the moment, one with Jackson and one with Anthony Sher. The Jackson one was the real deal - with Celia Imrie as Goneril, Jane Horrox as Regan and Rhys Ifans (he was Spike in Notting Hill) as the Fool. It was uncut, starting at 7pm and ending at 10:30pm. Jackson has returned to the stage aged 80 after 23 years in politics as a Member of Parliament (Labour party). Another standing ovation.

Absolutely stunning; a review here https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/nov/05/king-lear-review-glenda-jackson-old-vic .

Edited by Craig Sawyers
  • Like 2

Nice capture, Mikey. Just when I had finally relaxed and said to myself, "Ehh, it's just a couple of seconds. Nobody will notice that my beard wasn't quite 'Santa white' yet..."

They called me on a Friday afternoon, wanting to know if I was available on Saturday morning! This was Nov 5th. My first events for the season are actually tonight and then this weekend. So I was thinking I'd have a chance to bleach a couple more times to "get there" before I'd need to make an appearance.

I always plan to be camera-ready by mid-November and then work backwards with my bleaching schedule. It usually takes 10-12 times. In that video, I had bleached 9 times. Today will be the 10th.

I've actually let it go for a couple of weeks just to give it a bit of a break. I've learned that if I get too aggressive early on, then I could have serious breakage in the middle of December -- not good!

Wish my hair was naturally white, but it's definitely not in the genetics on my dad's side especially.

• Like 4