And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

3 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Not what I meant. I meant the angle the tooth makes with the radius. I use the term rake angle, but the alternative name is hook angle. I use a triple chip blade with negative rake in my radial arm saw - in that machine a positive tooth angle grabs the stock and the blade tries to climb out of the wood; that is not a good outcome. A negative rake gives much more control. The choice will definitely be different with a table saw, where the blade has to act to hold the piece firmly on the table.

Unfortunately I have to use whatever cheap ass blade the boss buys, as I no longer work for myself.

54 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

Damn, can you still use a router? Still need some cleaning up on the corner speakers. Oh wait; too soon?

Seriously, that sucks. If I am picturing what happened, would it be safe to assume even SawStop wouldn't have helped?

Not too soon, all humor is welcomed. SawStop would not have helped at all in this case, as it was the board itself that stripped my finger of flesh.

So, Carrot Finger lives!

X-rays looked great. The Dr. was very happy with the previous Dr.s closing of the wound, and was also happy to see the mobility in my finger. Thumb was more hashed than I originally realized, but still nothing like the finger. I was given a cleaning regimen and finger exercises. The Dr. says it should heal and recover nicely. It'll just look funky. Have a follow up in a week, then one more in two weeks. And that should do it. I'm very happy with the prognosis!

Thanks so much for all the well wishes, not sure you guys know how much they help!

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, dsavitsk said:

Sounds like it wouldn't. The Sawstop mechanism is for stopping and retracting the blade when it is touched. But you'll have to ask Steve whether the blade guard or kickback pawls that also come on it might have helped. I think the general consensus with table saws is that kickback injuries are more common, but blade injuries tend to be more serious. However, kickback injuries can become blade injuries in a hurry.

It is my opinion that a kickback guard & fingers and a riving knife certainly couldn't hurt, and may well have prevented the injury. Again, not my equipment, though you can bet I'll insist on it now!

• Like 2

I'm glad that things are turning out so positive.

When I sliced my finger open (not off, as in your case), the doctor prescribed me this:  go to Giant, get the cheapest bag of rice you can get, put it in a container, then dig around in it like you're trying to find something.

I ended up falling in love with the smell of that brown rice.  I still love brown rice to this day.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, swt61 said:

Unfortunately I have to use whatever cheap ass blade the boss buys, as I no longer work for myself.

Steve, FWIW I use blades from this outfit http://www.awsaws.uk/home_page.html . They do mildly custom stuff at not a lot more; my Wadkin RAS is old (the original round arm BRA), and it has an odd imperial diameter shaft. They modify by adding a pressed in feature to suit whatever diameter shaft your machine has. I recall that the blades that I have were the equivalent of $120-$140 each. Not cheap, but they are superb blades.

I see that they do blades with anti-kickback features (page 5 of their catalogue http://www.awsaws.uk/ELECTRONIC CATALOGUE.pdf ), which I urge your cheapskate boss to invest in. And a riving knife, which I would have thought was essential for a table saw.

Like everyone else, I'm massively impressed with how chilled you are about all this!

Craig, I will certainly look into them. Also, the boss and I are going to have a talk about safety in general. I feel like I have more of a leg to stand on now (if less of a finger).

As far as how calm I am, I get that from my Dad. My Brothers are the same. 

• Like 2

Waiting to renew drivers license in person.

Cranky people. Only one open chair. No wonder, screaming toddler in front of me. Cute bright eyed 16 year olds taking drivers tests. I wonder if they'll take my picture? I guess I should have combed my hair and rubbed the crust out of my eyes. Oh well.

• Like 2

Good to hear things are working out as well as possible Steve. I would recommend you come up with a much cooler story to explain the finger to impress the boys. Sword fight, shrapnel, saving puppies from a wood chipper...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I settled completely in my room Today. Residance's owners are really good people, last week I said that I need bigger room for my table, and they arranged one for me. Here is the a part of my room:

IMG_20161210_235946108.jpg

Btw as a welcome, two bombs has been detonated in Beşiktaş, 2,5 kms away from my residance... 20 people has been wounded.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CD44hi said:

Catching up with this. Steve hope for the best possible outcome and a super speedy recovery. Perhaps you should consider a golden point emoji121.png️ to your digit "a la" Jaime Lannister emoji12.png

Surely an ebony finger extension would be more appropriate?

I don't think I adequately responded, but I can think of no adequate words, other than good on you for taking it so calmly, good on you for keeping it together when you needed to get to the hospital, and I continue to wish for the most positive of prognosisses...prognoses.

• Like 1