And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

37 minutes ago, Voltron said:

You sound so calm, Steve. I would be freaking the fuck out! Hoping for good news in the morning. And Claire had some Norco recently and it was no big thing. Don't be afraid to use it if you are in pain.

This and this. Hope you're OK Steve. Table saws are terrifying machines.

4 hours ago, swt61 said:

and told me a partial amputation may still be necessary.

• Like 2

Best wishes, Steve. That there's no tendon and bone damage is a very good thing. That they managed to close the wound with stitches is also great, I would have expected that you needed some sort of graft after reading your injury description. I'm pretty sure it'll go fine, although you might need some form of PT afterwards to recover the movements. Hoping for the best

• Like 5

Bloody hell Steve. A whole new definition to a hand job. 

As a user of woodwork machine tools (planer thicknesser, band saw, and an entirely lethal Wadkin radial arm saw) I can visualise precisely what happened. Here's hoping the tannin in the oak had a natural infection control.

Let us know what the hand Doc says.

Thinking of that table saw Steve - what rake angle is your blade?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Voltron said:

You sound so calm, Steve. I would be freaking the fuck out! Hoping for good news in the morning. And Claire had some Norco recently and it was no big thing. Don't be afraid to use it if you are in pain.

The Dr. said the same thing. I tend to be calm and rational in these situations. It's my norm. My co-worker however was freaking the hell out. I honestly felt like I was taking care of him. I called someone else to take me to the Emergency Clinic, because I didn't want to die in a car crash on the way. I did know that it was bad when I was rinsing the wound, but I'm a practical guy. And I have a high pain threshold. I realize I'll be disfigured, but I'm very thankful that it was my Left hand and not my Right. Also it's a lot less traumatic at 55 than if I were a young guy. I was wearing a T-shirt that says "It is what it is", and that sums up my feelings about it. In my line of work the odds are that you'll have a bad incident at some point. 

8 hours ago, dsavitsk said:

This and this. Hope you're OK Steve. Table saws are terrifying machines.

They are scary, but I feel pretty good that in this situation I did everything right. I had a coworker nearby. I never lost focus. In short I made no mistakes, sometimes you just can't control everything. I find that Oak has a tendency to be grabby, because of it's grain pattern, so I purposely decided to only cut about an 1/8" deep at a time. I was about 1" into my first pass, and it just grabbed, twisted and shot out like a bullet. It would be a lot more difficult for me if I had broken my own rules and lost focus. Shit just happens, but don't think for a minute that I'm not going to chase you bastards around with my freaky finger, next time I see you guys!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fitz said:

:o That's some shitty luck. Hope everything heals up well enough, Steve!

Hey buddy! I'll be fine. You need to get your butt to HC more often!

5 hours ago, Torpedo said:

Best wishes, Steve. That there's no tendon and bone damage is a very good thing. That they managed to close the wound with stitches is also great, I would have expected that you needed some sort of graft after reading your injury description. I'm pretty sure it'll go fine, although you might need some form of PT afterwards to recover the movements. Hoping for the best

Thanks Antonio! I love that you are always happy to give free advice to us. That's not a common thing here in the U.S., and we very much appreciate that! The Emergency care Dr. thought it might need a graft and mentioned the hand Dr. He called him then, but the hand Dr. suggested he do his best at closing it up and then made me the appointment. I thought the closure looked pretty damned good, and was very impressed with that Dr. overall. Will know more in a few hours. Will report back soon. 

4 hours ago, Craig Sawyers said:

Bloody hell Steve. A whole new definition to a hand job. 

As a user of woodwork machine tools (planer thicknesser, band saw, and an entirely lethal Wadkin radial arm saw) I can visualise precisely what happened. Here's hoping the tannin in the oak had a natural infection control.

Let us know what the hand Doc says.

Thinking of that table saw Steve - what rake angle is your blade?

The blade was at 90 degrees. No real reason to believe this would happen. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, swt61 said:

The blade was at 90 degrees. No real reason to believe this would happen. 

Not what I meant. I meant the angle the tooth makes with the radius. I use the term rake angle, but the alternative name is hook angle. I use a triple chip blade with negative rake in my radial arm saw - in that machine a positive tooth angle grabs the stock and the blade tries to climb out of the wood; that is not a good outcome. A negative rake gives much more control. The choice will definitely be different with a table saw, where the blade has to act to hold the piece firmly on the table.

1 hour ago, swt61 said:

Thanks Antonio! I love that you are always happy to give free advice to us. That's not a common thing here in the U.S., and we very much appreciate that! The Emergency care Dr. thought it might need a graft and mentioned the hand Dr. He called him then, but the hand Dr. suggested he do his best at closing it up and then made me the appointment. I thought the closure looked pretty damned good, and was very impressed with that Dr. overall. Will know more in a few hours. Will report back soon. 

It's my pleasure, Steve. Sharing knowledge and helping friends is a wonderful thing that I enjoy doing :). Please let us know how it goes.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, luvdunhill said:

If I am picturing what happened, would it be safe to assume even SawStop wouldn't have helped?

Sounds like it wouldn't. The Sawstop mechanism is for stopping and retracting the blade when it is touched. But you'll have to ask Steve whether the blade guard or kickback pawls that also come on it might have helped. I think the general consensus with table saws is that kickback injuries are more common, but blade injuries tend to be more serious. However, kickback injuries can become blade injuries in a hurry.