And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

adjusted my derailleurs. I can't get to my inner ring on the front derailler, so I'm guessing I have to buy a new one. Finding a new one for a bike that was made in 1989 is proving to be a pain :)

Maybe, Maybe not. Is the adjustment screw in too far? Is your cable too tight? (Sorry if you already checked those). Deraileurs usually only break if the spring goes or someone rips them off.

Maybe, Maybe not. Is the adjustment screw in too far? Is your cable too tight? (Sorry if you already checked those). Deraileurs usually only break if the spring goes or someone rips them off.

well, the derailleur is resting right on the seat tube and it's still not shifting.

Excellent news, Nate, now for some nightly sleep! And happy 1st to Libby, Haj!

Me: went with family to a nice seaside town in MA, Newburyport. They always have a nice festival for Memorial Day, with food, shopping, and entertainment. Then went further on to Plum Island for a short beach visit. Back home to paperwork and bills, but now relaxing.

^ That sounds nice, Todd.

We took our daughter to her first zoo (Stone Zoo in Stoneham, MA). Neither myself or my wife had gone to this particular zoo previously so we didn't know what to expect, but it was rather disappointing to say the least. At least our daughter appeared to get a kick out of seeing monkeys and huge hornbills.

adjusted my derailleurs. I can't get to my inner ring on the front derailler, so I'm guessing I have to buy a new one. Finding a new one for a bike that was made in 1989 is proving to be a pain :)

Should be pretty easy to find a Sun Tour FD on epay, if you need to replace it. Not sure what kind of controls you have, but put it at the lowest gear and make sure the cable is snug, but not too tight. Also make sure that the derailleur moves freely (easier with the cable disconnected). If the cage is centered over the lowest chainring and it still won't shift, something is farked.

Park Tools has some excellent repair help articles online:

Park Tools front derailleur adjustment

Edited by Pars

Glad to hear you're doing well. :lol: Srsly, what was wrong with the Strad? Did it need refurbishing?

On a completely different note -- hey, Al -- I never posted a "that was nice" regarding the time we spent together, but it was really nice. And memorable. Well, alright, the names of the places aren't memorable, but that's because I suck at names of places -- so what were the two places we went? Was Magnolia one of them? Which one had the bartender who was featured in the cocktail book (and which book)?

So, on a similar note, before I forget -- 901 (DC)! Just opened on Wednesday or Thursday, went there on Saturday, and it was outstanding. (I think I overused that word that day, but I'll start over here.) It's run by the same people who do Capitol City Brewing Company, but they really took things to the next level. Everything was just perfect -- these Thai summer rolls came with three completely different sauces, but none of them outshone the others, they were all that good (one was a wasabi pesto? another was a chili cream...). The service was excellent, Dusty thoroughly approves the decor choices (lots of black and dark green) -- very nicely upscale. I was within line of sight of the front door, and there was a discussion over there -- I couldn't hear a word of it. Don't know what it will be like crowded, but it bodes well.

Even the beer was outstanding -- they brewed a batch of about 5 or 6 brews exclusively for 901. I made the mistake of ordering something else for the first round (didn't realize column B was from other breweries), but I didn't make that mistake for the second beer I had. And the two tastes I had of two of their other beers tells me that they have an excellent line-up.

So: 5 stars all around for 901.

On a completely different note -- hey, Al -- I never posted a "that was nice" regarding the time we spent together, but it was really nice. And memorable. Well, alright, the names of the places aren't memorable, but that's because I suck at names of places -- so what were the two places we went? Was Magnolia one of them? Which one had the bartender who was featured in the cocktail book (and which book)?

It's funny, Dusty, but I have been meaning to post something similar about how fun that evening was and even thought it this morning when I was glancing at the forums before the daily witness prep meetings began.

Anyway, Dusty and I met up near the Haight where he was standing on a corner while I drove over from my office with a buddy of mine who had just "run" the Bay to Breakers and who was hurting and grumpy at times. We proceeded to Alembic for drinks and dinner, serenaded by some Sabbath-esque CD by some friends of the wait staff. We had some nice cocktails and good eats. The head bartender was profiled in Underhill-Lounge.com, not a cocktail book. Here is the link.

We made our way down to the other end of Haight Street for a brew or two at Toronado. It was not the same without the usual surly but knowledgeable bartenders there, as the woman behind the bar was unknown to me and altogether too friendly and clueless about the Belgians they were featuring for Belgian month. While there, I learned that there had been a major fatality crash on the Golden Gate Bridge, so I gave Dusty a ride to his sister's house in Berkeley/Oakland and then carried on over the Richmond Bridge to get home. The only problem being that Dusty was too scary looking for the gas station mini mart guy to let him in to buy milk for his sister, and the "Texas" down the street came up dry for moo juice. :P

We had a fine time start to finish, and I learned that vacation Dusty is way more pleasant and happy and entertaining than sick, overcrowded Dusty. O0

Oh that's right, the Alaska -- that was hilarious! And yes, again -- I do appreciate the lift.

The reason he picked me up was because I didn't want to walk up Castro -- not because I'm homophobic, but because it's all uphill. So I went up 17th instead. Yeah, that was better. Only because it held off being uphill for a couple blocks. Al ended up picking me up about a block past the top of the hill. Phone conversation went something like this:

Al: Well, the only thing I can think of is that I just pick you up where you are.

Me: Yeah, that's fine.

Al: Well, that's at least 10 or 15 minutes away.

Me: I'll catch my breath.

Al: It'll take you at least 10 or 15 minutes to catch your breath?

Me: Yes.

It's funny -- you remember things that happened while inebriated -- only while inebriated (which I am now, mildly); and one remembers sober things sober (of course).

Ah yes, the Alembic and ...Toronado, of course, how could I forget? :)

Good times. headbang.gifbeer.gif

And yes, I am much less stressed out when I'm on vacation.

And: hooray! I succeeded at being less of a dick. I have such lofty goals.

After getting home, I checked the UPS website to find out the closing time for the local customer center. I went out to the said customer center after dinner to ship couple of packages, only to find that its actual closing time is 2 hours earlier than it was listed on the website. Stupid UPS.

^ Glad to see you're safe, Knuckles. Any damage to your house/property? I doubt we'll get anything around here, though it's been under the tornado watch for several hours now. As I'm typing this, thundering has started but no rain or much wind.

Oh, to illustrate the priority in this state, the station just changed over to the Stanley Cup Final from tracking the storm/tornado.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

There's a storm a brewing even here on the cape. Glad you are keeping safe.

Starting looking at cars today and found one I liked. Wasn't going to buy it until the dealer offered me what I originally paid for my car and twice what I thought it was worth. Now I'm gonna have some new wheels tomorrow...

Edited by Emooze

(Shouted loudly over the thunder) TRYING NOT TO DIE IN THE MOONSOON AND TORNADO(ES). HOW WAS YOUR DAY?

Power went out 20 minutes after I posted this. As far I as know, it's still out. I'm sitting in the center of Amherst, having just got pizza at Antonio's (famed local establishment). There's some really shitty acoustic band playing in one of the meathead bars. About 5 more minutes of this and I'm going to drive back to my presumably still unpowered home. FMMFL.