New Forum Software

tkam

I've noticed the View New Content function is a little ...tempermental at times. So far today it has returned "Sorry, there's no new content" when I had a whole pile of threads I hadn't read. I'm positive I haven't hit the "mark all items read" link, either. I assume this info is stored in cookies. I do tend to close and reopen the Head Case tab on FFX with impunity. That might have something to do with it.

Anyone else having issues with some forums showing up as having unread threads? I've a feeling it's probably a browser issue on my end but even when there are no unread threads left, if I go back to the main page, it keeps showing up as I have unread threads. The only way for me to fix it is click on "mark this forum read."

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Anyone else having issues with some forums showing up as having unread threads? I've a feeling it's probably a browser issue on my end but even when there are no unread threads left, if I go back to the main page, it keeps showing up as I have unread threads. The only way for me to fix it is click on "mark this forum read."

Tapatalk is doing exactly this for me. That or it doesn't show new threads for a week.

A few quick notes:

(1) I'm still not getting the new content/subscriptions relationship. In other words, I can't figure out how to show things the way we had it in vbulletin. Perhaps this is something I just need to get used to, but it's one of the few things I don't like about this software.

(2) My email notifications seem to have conked out. Anyone else? Mine seem to be going out in blast form every 6 hours.

(3) I like the ipboard app.

A few quick notes:

(1) I'm still not getting the new content/subscriptions relationship. In other words, I can't figure out how to show things the way we had it in vbulletin. Perhaps this is something I just need to get used to, but it's one of the few things I don't like about this software.

(2) My email notifications seem to have conked out. Anyone else? Mine seem to be going out in blast form every 6 hours.

(3) I like the ipboard app.

I haven't gotten an email notification since the change, even though I think I have it set up to email when I get PMs and the email is listed correctly.

I currently have my setting on "Show me all content I haven't read". When I do a View New Content, I get the same thread appearing more than once. I'm up to 2 pages now, but probably the same 12-15 threads in it...

It appears that what it is doing is putting up individual instances of the thread for each unread message that there is in the thread. If there are 2, you get the thread appearing twice, etc. At least that is what looks to be happening.

I don't see 'Immediate Notification' as an option anywhere.

Also, I don't see a way to file PMs into different folders. I can create folders, but do not see a way to move the PMs into those folders.

Good point. I found a pulldown thingie at the bottom of the page that has "Move to" selections in it. Mine defaults to "Delete", so that's what it looks like.

IIRC, you get to choose a notification type when you watch a topic. The only way I could find to change it was to unwatch the topic and then watch it again.

Edit: Ah, there is a dropdown on the manage watched topics control panel page that works the same way as the one on the PMs page. It has options to change notification type. You can select and change notification options for multiple topics. That's a good thing, 'cause you can periodically do a select-all and turn it off for all topics to get rid of forgotten old thread notifications.

Edited by CarlSeibert

Aha! I found the immediate notification option! It's tucked away a bit, and because of the layout, I thought it related to 'watch every topic I reply to' rather than to notifications in general. I didn't want an email every time someone posted a reply to a topic, so I left it on 'No notifications'. But looking more closely, it appears this options relates to notifications in general. I switched it to immediate notifications, and will see how it goes.

Maybe it's just me being an idiot ... but if anyone else is having trouble finding it, it's under Control Panel(‘My Settings’ by clicking on user name in upper right hand corner)>Settings>Notification Options>Notification Preferences, just under ‘Watch every topic I reply to’ where it says ‘If enabled, choose default notification type:’