Official Head-Case Thread to help fix Icarium's SP amp

tkam

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the progression of this being something like this:

Mikhail must be given an opportunity to make amends. Ridiculous, yes, but I think that part of the scenario must at least be given a limited time period to play itself out prior to the reconstruction efforts really starting to gel. The end result of all of that might be Dan with a wad of cash and no amp, Dan with some cash and the broken pieces he has no or Dan with no cash and the broken bits and pieces. There are any number of choices that Dan will have to make after that and I think we, the community, can then be ready to step in and offer some assistance. If that's repairing the busted PS I'm sure we can find a way to do that, if it's gutting the chassis and using what we can we'll see what's needed and go from there. I think what is most important at this point is for Dan to know he's not alone on an island, which he clearly does.

Personally, I'd try and sell the amp. Then, we can work to make something nice for you.

Since you paid for a top-tier amp, I'm assuming you'd still be interested in going that direction. I'd suggest starting with some of the new Bent Audio modules for attenuation and input / output selection. That leaves the main amplifier. If you are still looking for a solid state amp, then consider the Dynafet or the beta22.

Personally, I'd try and sell the amp. Then, we can work to make something nice for you.

Since you paid for a top-tier amp, I'm assuming you'd still be interested in going that direction. I'd suggest starting with some of the new Bent Audio modules for attenuation and input / output selection. That leaves the main amplifier. If you are still looking for a solid state amp, then consider the Dynafet or the beta22.

Isn't the dynafet made of pure unobtainium at this point?

Isn't the dynafet made of pure unobtainium at this point?

I thought that Kevin had published what, 4 varieties of board files, and built two or three himself (in rather expensive solid aluminum enclosures). No one has run the boards and done a GB or anything for them however. Or I could be recalling things incorrectly :rolleyes:

EDIT: And I think one thing holding this back was waiting for Linear Systems to do the 2SJ109 (LSJ109?) You could of course use singles (2sk170/2sj74).

maybe, maybe not :)

Anyways, the amp is definitely doable and I agree with Spritzer, this is one of the reasons it would be the perfect choice.

Well I'd be interested in getting one too. Maybe I can convince someone to screw me really bad and get one too :)

I'm just kidding but if there are boards etc out I'm really really interested.

maybe, maybe not :)

Anyways, the amp is definitely doable and I agree with Spritzer, this is one of the reasons it would be the perfect choice.

Hmmm, interesting. I'm building a Dynahi currently... I've only had the boards around for oh, lets see... 5 years :palm: Having some Dynafet goodness as an alternative might be interesting...

Unfortunately, I can offer no more than moral support and the occasional shovel to the back of the head, but I offer both of those freely and willingly.

One thing really needed is a central ramrod - which I would NOT be able to do (look at my builds as proof) - but, someone will need to direct the traffic.
I agree. But the person should be Icarium. He needs to be the one to decide whether or not to completely scrap the amp and do a complete rebuild, or to try to do a fix. Personally, I think a fix makes more sense, as I do believe it would be worthwhile to find out what the amp was supposed to sound like, but that's if it was me.
Mikhail must be given an opportunity to make amends.
I agree, but even I would be more than hesitant to send anything to him. As overkill as it sounds, I think Icarium should take Mikhail up on his offer to fly out, otherwise the amp will end up back in purgatory. (That's if the buying the amp back idea doesn't work out.) Edited by Dusty Chalk

Well it looks pretty obvious that no woodwork will be needed, and you sure as hell don't want me soldering anything, so my wallet is in standby mode for whatever donation is needed.

This is a great time to rally around Dan and get this taken care of. I love this place.