And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Went to see a doctor about the persistent stiffness/pain in my neck and I was told I have a bad case of neck muscle spasms. Told me it should clear in a week or two and prescribed me some muscle relaxant and painkillers. It's a good thing I have a week off next week.

Relax and enjoy "il dolce far niente", it's the best treatment for your problem :)

Numerous weeknights at Fort Mason and Saturday night in Hayes Valley...are those too far for you?

Thanks for the tip Al.

I've been dyin' to try some of those trucks!

Did a little searching and found this for folks in the south Bay;

http://www.mvblfeast.com/

Graham,.. looks like a great time!

Your posts really make me realize how much I take the bounties here in the US for granted!

For the record -- forest fires happened long before there were arsonists, and smokey, and matches. They are a natural phenomenon. It's natural selection at work, and it's a form of composting in nature. (Over simplification, but that's pretty much a synopsis I was given long ago.)

That said, I don't wish anyone being in the path of them, and wouldn't deny you the desire to put every last one of them out.

EDIT:

Me: bought my mom groceries. Yes, that took all fucking day.

True, forest fires are nothing new. But local authorities have evidence that the 23 fires in Teller county the past week are arson. That's three more fires since Friday, on top of the 20 last week.

The Waldo Canyon fire here at the west end of town is at the edge of Teller County and El Paso County, but we don't have any information about whether it was Arson. There were no reported lightning strikes in the area Friday or Saturday, but people smelled smoke in the area Friday, and the fire became apparent by noon Saturday. On the other hand, the High Park fire around Ft Collins and the Wyoming border was set by lightning.

Bought tickets to fly to Portland (for vacation) and made reservations at the Monoco (a Kimpton hotel) in downtown Portland. Can't wait to go.

Suggestions for things to do besides ride around on a bike, eat doughnuts, visit some parks, and do basically nothing? I try to make a habit of not accomplishing anything but breakfast before noon on vacation.

250px-Bacon_donut.jpg

Edited by shellylh

I'd just hang out eating scary doughnuts myself, but I guess that goes without saying...

You know it's a big book store when they hand you a map of it when you walk in. Powell's City of Books http://www.powells.com/

The parks are great. Forest Park is practically endless with lots of cool trials, and don't forget Portland's Japanese Garden. Bridges everywhere, and always swarmed with people on bikes in the summer.

It's dumb. Five levels of flows charts to represent 200 lines of code... our controllers expert was addicted to it. We should have forced him to learn to code.

I think the courses are free.

Understood, appreciate the input. I'm still thinking that I should learn at least something in the field so that I can say I know it.

Shelly, if it's still there, Vista Springs cafe is excellent. Great gourmet pizzas!

Northwest is full of quaint shops and cafes, and well worth an afternoon walk. Everything between 19th and 24th streets, just off of Burnside.

Edited by swt61

Jacob,

I'm not all that familiar with Portland but have some friends who've spent a lot of time there so I'll try to get you some info soon. There are certainly great places to visit in Portland (the old port, specifically) and a whole lot more within easy driving distance: two examples would be Portsmouth, NH about an hour to the South and Acadia National Park a bit over an hour further up the coast. If you do swing down towards Portsmouth I'll give you my contact info, that's where I work 5+ days a week. I should also be able to give you some off the beaten path beaches to visit as well if you want to chill out during the day time. Good seafood won't be hard to come by.