And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I resurrected someone today (prolly the main reason I am drinking a syrong red alone on a Monday). No magic, just directed electricity. Though, if I could declare I blessed him and sent him on his way, that would be much much cooler.

If you were in the Stax mafia, you could say you biased him...

There's a training instructor I know named Sergeant Payne. There are also an unbelievable number of Captain Kirks. Haven't met a Major Major Major Major yet though.

I am interviewing someone named Payne tomorrow who used to be a Sergeant.

• Like 1

We have someone I work with now named Sham Rao, pronounced like you might suspect.

And the above made me remember once when I worked at a hotel/concert club, the owner was supposedly a Greek mob man name Mr. Ricolitis.  A vendor once came and asked for Mr. Colitis, and we assured him that he REALLY wanted to get the name right (the owner was not well known for his sense of humor).

About 6 months ago I signed up to be on the bone marrow donor registry.  Today, I got a letter in the mail saying that they were not able to enter me as a donor for the following reason:  Heath history/Medical Evaluation.  So weird, I cannot imagine why.  Oh well.   :(

bummer Shelly - it is certanly not because your 'heart' is not in the right place...

About 6 months ago I signed up to be on the bone marrow donor registry.  Today, I got a letter in the mail saying that they were not able to enter me as a donor for the following reason:  Heath history/Medical Evaluation.  So weird, I cannot imagine why.  Oh well.   :(

Yeah, I can't donate blood (may trigger a seizure) or marrow (unless I go off my anticonvulsant meds).  Sucks...  I'm going to try to get a letter from my neurologist stating that I should at least be able to donate blood, next time I see him.  I've only had one seizure, and that was three years ago.  I think my risk is pretty darn low.

That's great news, Jacob!

Late congrats to Emily!

Weird, Shelly! But then I can't imagine donating marrow would be much fun.

Yeah, I cannot imagine that it would be much fun but I would be willing to do it if it really helped someone in need.   Maybe I was denied because I had arthroscopic hip surgery (which puts a tiny anchor in the hip bone)?

Ps.  My grad student got an even better postdoc offer today!  She is still thinking of tenure tracks jobs at teaching schools, but I really hope she takes this one.   

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

That could be it Shelly....

Regarding donating, I learned some interesting info from helping run two drives with my son.

~80% of the time, marrow itself is not needed.  The process is something akin to a very light version of dialysis.  Maybe a week ahead of collection, you get injection(s) to help stimulate white blood cell production.  Then you go in, have blood removed from one arm, flows through a collector of some sort that catches the parts desired; then the blood flows back into the other arm.  

One of my son's drives resulted in a match, we were very excited and proud!

PS - congrats - again - to you and your student!

Edited by skullguise

Ok, so 80% it is very similar to giving platelets (or other automated donations) which is not too bad.  The thing that I dislike about apherisis is when the fluids go back into you.  They are cold and make my chest really cold. 

One of my son's drives resulted in a match, we were very excited and proud!

That is great!

Edited by shellylh