And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Shelly,

First, color me jealous of that rig.  Just. So. Much. Awesome.

Second, about the worst that would probably happen is some mild discoloration of the underside of the shelf.  But that would probably take a lot of time.  When I had a similar lack of space at work the underside of my shelf got slightly browned, but no worse and that was with 8-10hrs of continuous runtime.  The 6SN7 is also not pumping out that much heat.  If the data sheet I found is correct it's probably only trying to deal with ~4W (6.3V/.6A heater) but don't hold me to that.  My DIY skills are eroding with time and it's been a while since I applied much, if any critical thinking to stuff like this. 

• Like 2

Trekking back from Colorado to Beijing today, after nearly two months off. Kora's Chinese visa did not come through in time, so She and Ann Marie will follow in a few days.

I thought it would liberating to be briefly liberated from the responsibilities, but I just miss my baby a lot. Kids are real weird.

• Like 2

Our year-old cat Joost was missing for the last week. It's pretty common for indoor/outdoor cats in the country to wander for longer periods than this so we weren't all that worried. We were surprised when our friends posted a "found cat" listing with a photo of Joost on Facebook yesterday. They live about five miles away from us. Needless to say he is happy to be home.

• Like 9

Put speakers on stands, put rack back in place.  

Should have a new dac tomorrow, so this is the last time I'll have the sony in my system I guess.

My power cords are too short to put my conditioner on the bottom rack which is annoying.

I noticed that for some reason my speakers dont have bass boost or eq knobs as detailed in the online manual. 

I never intended on using them, but is still surprising.

3am whisper volume right now.  

Playing around with positioning since the manual says to use a triangle which I never bothered with before.

I put 3 layers of neoprene shop pads between each speaker.

Carpet pad in reverse direction underneath each stand to maneuver into place as needed.

Can't 'hear' the stands yet, which is good.  

But volume is very low at the moment.

I dont think I'm going to paint or cover the stands, I like the current look.

Glad this is finally in place.

*edit* I forgot to post a picture of the inside of the stands earlier.

Rig-10-29-2014.png

Edited by aardvark baguette
  • Like 5

Lots of awesomeness in this thread ...

Baguette's great speaker rig ...

Shelly's BHSE, and the swell advice on shelf clearance ...

Grahame and Jo's trip to the Auld Sod, and hookup with the tall man ...

Chris @ midwest Lagunitas heaven  (jealous) ...

The reappearance of Fitz (not unlike my own) ...

But the winner is definitely (drum roll, please) Tyler, Ann Marie, and little Kora ...

May the family be reunited  soon, Tyler.  Happy trails.

• Like 2

Had lunch with Mother, Sister, Brother-in-law and (trying to be Vegan, because his girlfriend is) nephew. Good times, not the sort of thing you can do from 5000 miles away. Kudos to the staff who managed to rustle up something non meat, fish, egg, dairy, or cheese based in an Italian - gluten free pasta / pesto / veggies.

Edited by Grahame
  • Like 1