And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

We needed a new washer and after looking around ended up buying just about the cheapest, feature barren, upright washer we could. No front loading, no digital control, no high efficiency, etc. I think it was $360 delivered and installed (well under the cost to repair the old one). It works great. No lint, no stink, no leaks, clothes get clean, it is fast and reasonably quiet.

Attended a birthday party for one of my son's fencing club members. I had a great time and enjoyed being one of the only non Russian parents there.  So on the way home we are cruising on the freeway at a nice steady 70 mph clip when just ahead of me I see a mass of taillights and a column of smoke.  Within fifteen seconds we are on the accident and see a car has flipped over the guardrail and is resting on it's roof in the bushes. I immediately call 911 to report the accident. The 911 operator passes me off to the fire department who proceeds to ask me a bunch of questions like location direction and description of the car to which I answer  "the car is silver I think, is resting on it's roof and is on fire, it should not be too difficult to locate on the 101 at 3:30 in the afternoon"   :palm:

We needed a new washer and after looking around ended up buying just about the cheapest, feature barren, upright washer we could. No front loading, no digital control, no high efficiency, etc. I think it was $360 delivered and installed (well under the cost to repair the old one). It works great. No lint, no stink, no leaks, clothes get clean, it is fast and reasonably quiet.

Do you know the model?

I think it is the WTW4800BQ -- we got ours from Home Depot, and that seems to match. I don't know that this would be great for a family with a bunch of kids and sports equipment, etc. but for the two of us, it does just fine.

I was looking at this washer and there were two complaints I was worried about.  The first was that it won't wash in really hot water (that it adds cold water to the hot water on the hot setting to be more energy efficient).  The second was that it takes a really long time to wash.  

Doug:  Do you know if yours just uses the hot water on the hot setting?  Also, how long does it take for a medium size load?  

I'm not buying anything from BestBuy and it is $420 with free shipping at Home Depot.  I am definitely not moving around a washer!  

Edit:  I see this is backordered until 2/23/15 at Home Depot. 

The other option I was looking at was this LG (WT1101CW).  It is a lot more expensive though - $750 delivered (I could wait to see if it goes on sale though). 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-4-3-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Front-Control-Top-Load-Washer-in-White-ENERGY-STAR-WT1101CW/203578178?N=5yc1vZc3oc

I am concerned about getting a repairman out to "fix" the problem because I have this feeling that I will pay them a lot of money and then not have the problem fixed.  

Edited by shellylh

Sounds like the inlet valve to me as well Shelly. Damn, that is an expensive valve.

If you do go the new washer route, the service guy we use has a website with some good advice regarding brands etc.

http://www.allbrandservicenaperville.com/products-washer.html

I kind of blow off some of his recommendations regarding controls to a point (he likes manual and hates electronic stuff). I learned this after I paid him $300 (or was it $600?) for the control unit in our old furnace, which he called the "brain box". I took the dead one apart and all it was was a few relays and a couple of basic looking ICs. Brain box, indeed :rofl:

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, he basically says to get a pricey and difficult to obtain Speed Queen and says that everything else sucks.   I'm also concerned (based on reviews online) that quality control of Speed Queen has gone down hill in the recent past.  

Edited by shellylh

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, he basically says to get a pricey and difficult to obtain Speed Queen and says that everything else sucks.   I'm also concerned (based on reviews online) that quality control of Speed Queen has gone down hill in the recent past.  

I did get a quote from a local place that sells the Speed Queen 432 for $829 + $55 delivery/install/haul away charge.  That doesn't seem as expensive as I thought they were.  I'll have to look more into this.  It would certainly nice to have a washer that might last more than a few years.  I really should start a new thread instead of replying here. 

Wow, that is cheap.  I don't think you could get it for under $799 right now.   The biggest problem with them now seems to be the very large number of them that have grease in the tub that will ruin your clothing.  People said that they have had to clean it with Simple Green a lot and run several loads of throwaway towels in them before they are ready to be used.  That certainly doesn't sound like fun.  

Good for you Shelly!

I think you'll find that if you give yourself a chance, you can figure out a lot of the hardware issues around your house.

After all, think about the freakin' idiots that have learned to do that stuff well enough to charge for it (I've removed, serviced and re-installed the hardware on hundreds of doors and thousands of cabinets/drawers). I'm pretty confident that you have better critical thinking skills than any of those guys.

• Like 5

Went to the bike shop to get my rip-off vector pedal pods installed to fix a problem with Garmin's shit design only to find out the $100 the shop charged me was just for one pod, I would need to pay $200 to fix a fucked up design to be able to use my $1700 pedals.  Garmin is quickly passing Samsung as the company I am most likely to show up at their HQ some day to express my displeasure with their shit.

Went by Radio Shack to pick up some batteries today. I'd heard that they'd given up the fight last week so I was wondering what things would be like.

There was hardly anything left. Just a few wall racks of generic cables and a couple of tables of overstocked usb fans and ipad covers.

Pretty sad. Even right here in silicon valley where the electronics stores could be found in every moderately sized neighborhood, not much left but Fry's.

Had both passenger and driver side airbag inflators replaced as part of the Takata recall. Turns out the claymore mine like failure mode "metal fragments ejected into the passenger compartment at high speed" may, and had proved fatal in some documented instances. This was for a 2003 Honda Accord, so it's interesting how long it took for the problem to develop, be acknowledged, and remedied. At least it was, and the tracking system worked in this case. Check in case you are also affected.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

I'm glad you can drive already, Larry.

Yep. Got the brace on the right leg unlocked after 4 weeks to 30 degrees flexing, then a little more each week until I got it to 90 degrees. Was using a walker until last week, and then the PT worked with me to use crutches, including getting up from a chair with my one weak leg. I've been discharged from home PT after that.

So, I can now get to my car, get in, pull in my crutches, and use my right leg to drive. I drove the whole 400 mile round trip with my wife as passenger. But man did it kick my ass using crutches for anything more than a short trip from the car to the SmashBurger ordering counter and back out to the car. And I still can't bear weight on my left ankle until 3/20, according to my surgeon.

But I'm in a much better position than my daughter who also can't bear weight on her right leg until 3/20, because she had a "bleed" in her ankle when she put weight on it last week as ordered by the doc. So, the right ankle is back in a cast after draining the hematoma, and she is only just now ready to start to try standing on her left leg with a fracture walking "boot". Her last surgery was Wednesday to remove her external rods and fixators.

Today the wife and I went to dinner and a movie (American Sniper). The kids stayed home and had takeout sushi...

• Like 2

Yep. Got the brace on the right leg unlocked after 4 weeks to 30 degrees flexing, then a little more each week until I got it to 90 degrees. Was using a walker until last week, and then the PT worked with me to use crutches, including getting up from a chair with my one weak leg. I've been discharged from home PT after that.

So, I can now get to my car, get in, pull in my crutches, and use my right leg to drive. I drove the whole 400 mile round trip with my wife as passenger. But man did it kick my ass using crutches for anything more than a short trip from the car to the SmashBurger ordering counter and back out to the car. And I still can't bear weight on my left ankle until 3/20, according to my surgeon.

But I'm in a much better position than my daughter who also can't bear weight on her right leg until 3/20, because she had a "bleed" in her ankle when she put weight on it last week as ordered by the doc. So, the right ankle is back in a cast after draining the hematoma, and she is only just now ready to start to try standing on her left leg with a fracture walking "boot". Her last surgery was Wednesday to remove her external rods and fixators.

Today the wife and I went to dinner and a movie (American Sniper). The kids stayed home and had takeout sushi...

Dude, I don't care what you say, that's awesome.  It's heartening to hear such progress.