And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

I'm still trying to convince my brother to get out of Wilmington, NC where Irene may hit coast first. I get the distinct feeling he isn't taking it serious enough. Best of luck to everyone.

Damn man, he's gotta get out of there. I have a bunch of friends teaching in Bertie County and they've pretty much abandoned the county.

Situations like this always highlight for me the limited capacity of the majority of people in this world.

“Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are are even dumber" -- George Carlin, approximately.

Stay safe Monkey and all of you on the storm track!

Damn man, he's gotta get out of there. I have a bunch of friends teaching in Bertie County and they've pretty much abandoned the county.

I'm out of ideas on how to convince him at this point. The whole family has been in contact. I'm just hoping for the best now and hoping that it won't shift any further west.

I just killed the Eastern Wood Pewee that has been plaguing me the entire summer using a 1986 Sheridan Blue Streak airgun. I sort-of feel bad for the little @#%$, but he chose to sing his two note call outside my window REALLY LOUDLY for 17 hours a day. Three months of that would cause Mother Theresa to take up arms. :indra:

I've been asking around for a ride to the doctor's office to get my FMLA paperwork filled out and sent off. No one can help today. This has got to happen to see if my Short Term Disability will go through or not. FUUUUUUUUUU. Frustrating as hell. Even if I COULD drive, my car has been dead a month.

Why can't these people just e-mail PDFs and fill out electronically? What do they think this is, the 90s?

**BRENT**

Fucking poacher evil.gif

I hope he didn't eat the little guy. :palm:

I've been asking around for a ride to the doctor's office to get my FMLA paperwork filled out and sent off. No one can help today. This has got to happen to see if my Short Term Disability will go through or not. FUUUUUUUUUU. Frustrating as hell. Even if I COULD drive, my car has been dead a month.

Why can't these people just e-mail PDFs and fill out electronically? What do they think this is, the 90s?

**BRENT**

Grab a cab, dude.

4x4-taxi.jpg

Not as serious as those in Irene, but made me pretty happy.

Got my Powermac G5 running again. The Apple store "genius" sure as hell couldn't :kitty: After getting it to boot last Sunday (wife took it down there) after reseating the RAM, only comment was "can't get parts for these anymore". Maybe if you built the parts correctly, this wouldn't be an issue :palm:

Probably only temporary, as I will wind up needing to pull the logic board and fixing some of the goddamn leadfree solder issues around the DIMM sockets (184 pins x 4). I used a heatgun to heat these up, reinserted the memory (after allowing it to cool). Boot... yay! First time in a week. Passed memtest twice on the RAM I have installed. Sent the 2G back to Crucial, so will reinstall when the new (or old) ones return.

Back home from hiking Mount Whitney (14,495'). A 2 AM wakeup, 22 miles of hiking, 7000 feet of vertical gain, 16 hours on the trail, and a 5 hour drive home made for a loooong (but amazingly beautiful) day.

Heading to SF tomorrow for a comparatively relaxing weekend!

That sounds like a great time!

I am waiting for the A/C guy to call back so he can make a service call today to hopefully get my A/C going again. It's about 99 outside and just hit 79 inside and climbing. At least I will be in the A/C for a while at the Apple Store to buy a MBA or MBP for my daughter to replace her 6 year old white MB. The screen is shot. With law school hopefully a year away for her, it's time for a new comp.

Here is a pic of the blueberry pie I made. The oven being on didn't help the situation but I started the pie before I realized the A/C was out.

63fba332.jpg

So far, I've cleaned out the yard of items that could come crushing through the windows, at least the ones I could move/carry. Now I'm going to put masking tape on the damn windows.

I wouldn't put tape on the windows. It is a bitch to get off and won't really offer much (if any) protection. Plus the winds shouldn't be too bad where you are.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/weather/hurricanes/article473575.ece

http://www.statewide...-tape-myth.html

Edited by shellylh

Just came back from the New England Aquarium. There were decent number of folks at both the aquarium and Quincy market area, though probably less than usual due to Irene. Libby really enjoyed the aquarium though she was initially afraid of seals in the outside tank.

Oh, and while I looked rather ridiculous with my Think Tank Digital Holster and couple of pouches, there were plenty of other parents who looked just as ridiculous with their backpack/baby carrier/etc. getup.

I wouldn't put tape on the windows. It is a bitch to get off and won't really offer much (if any) protection. Plus the winds shouldn't be too bad where you are.

http://www.tampabay....ticle473575.ece

http://www.statewide...-tape-myth.html

Good to know. You just save me time and rolls of painter tapes, thanks, Shelly!

Edited by Salt Peanuts