And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Worked out for the first time since November or so. Swapped potatoes out of my standard meals for brown rice again. Going back into burn mode to try to get another 20-40 lbs off. Been hanging at 195-200 for the last 3-4 months. Started in May 2011 at 270.

Organic Chem sucks. Bad enough I had a strong reaction reading your post and I took it 40 years ago.

This, except 27 years ago. wink.png

The only cool thing was when I created matter.

CJ, just do your best, the greatest consolation I can give you is that you'll never see it again the rest of your life.

Edited by jvlgato

Just got out of an Orgo lab midterm. It was annoying.

I hate organic chemistry. I was to kill my lab ta and the lab director.

Can sympathize.

Degree in BioChem.

Love those Orgo midterms:

This test will constitute 60% of your final grade.

1. Show the reation pathway for the synthesis of DNA using naturally occuring molecules of three carbons or less: only standard laboratory reagents may be used (show your work).

You have 30 minutes.

facepalm.png

So I walk into the lab with a graphing calculator. TA says I can't use it for the exam even though we have been using them all year. I show her there is nothing on the calc. All the memory on the calc is free. These sheeple are so stupid that they follow rules blindly without giving in any thought to reason or rationality. I didn't want to argue and time was running so I ran back to my car and came back in 15 minutes with my scientific calculator which was not acceptable because it solved definite integrals. Then I lost my cool. The test has nothing to do with calculus. It is fucking organic chemistry. But it is the fucking departmental policy to only allow scientific calculators even though thats exactly what it says on the top of my scientific calculator. I waste another 20 minutes to go to the bookstore and buy a shitty calculator, come back and find my TA being an enormous thundercunt - "its been too long. you need permission from the director to continue the exam." i go to the director and explain all this. she reports me to the dean for academic dishonesty for trying to use a calculator that i was not allowed to use and for claiming to have done graduate work in math. obviously no one in the history of the fucking academia has ever gotten a phd in math and then pursued another discipline.

i go to the dean. he recognizes me from the 3.5 years i spent on his floor doing math. tells me he will call the director and i can take the exam. i go back. the director sends me back to the ta. ta gives me the test with only an hour for a 2.5 hour test. the test wasn't hard but with essentially 15 pages of information to be written, time was the decisive factor and i wasn't able to finish.

no where in the syllabus are graphing calculators outlawed. and even if they are i don't see why i was not allowed to use my scientific calculator. at this stage should i go back to the dean and tell him that i wasn't allowed to take the test in the 2.5 hours. trying to figure out if i deserve an honest second chance here or if i am being unreasonable.

i didn't realize you were a god, John.

Heh. If anyone should have flunked Orgo, it was me. 180% yield? Obviously a major lab fuck up on my part. They had mercy on me and took off points, but didn't fail me.

CJ, approach your dean, why not? Nothing to lose in trying. Just be really nice about it, explain your side of it, show him all three calculators, throw yourself at his mercy, say that you don't think your scores will reflect fairly on your knowledge or preparation, you had no intention to cheat and you'd really appreciate the chance to take it under whatever rules he sets. My guess is, your ta mumbled under his breath, something about calculators once, after class was over, on the one day you didn't stay late. More likely, he took a disliking to you for some reason.

If you really want to go to med school, you'll face similar situations a hundred more times. I know I did. I won some, I lost some. Was treated fairly at times, unfairly at times.

Eh, forget the med school part ... probably the same thing for anyone who has lived long enough.

Good luck!