And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Damn, really nice pics, all!

CJ, sorry about the knee. Ten feet is a long way to fall, actually! Glad you're mostly ok!

Reks, damn, can't believe your run of bad luck. Unable to walk is not good. I herniated a disc right around your age, and damn, that shit hurts! Hopefully nothing serious  for you - good luck!

Waiting for 3:00 to come around, so that I can see my doctor.  I did something to my lower back, yesterday (not idea what), and I can barely walk now, due to pain and stiffness (especially the stiffness).  I think my body is falling apart.

good luck with the knee, CJ!

WTF -  I think you had had worse luck than I over the last couple of years!

If I use a nice wide belt, and buckle it high and tight, I can walk fairly normally, though it's painful. The prednisone has already started to help, I think.

So sad. I wore an abdominal support (aka, girdle) under my shirt all day at work for a few weeks around the hospital and in the office just so I could stand and walk without debilitating pain. Horrible. Good news is the vast majority of these remit without surgery. Though that doesn't take into account your apparent curse. :(

The chair thing sucks. And if they get behind, it becomes a mountain that's too tall to climb. A few years ago I complained about shitty chairs on the national desk. So I was tasked to do a chair census and discovered that we urgently needed nearly two hundred grand worth of chairs in my location alone. By now, it must be way more than that.

Yeah, in my office, I bought an ergonomic chair and it really helped. I asked for an ergonomic chair for years at the VA and for years, I was told yes, they'll put one order. Yeah, right. One day, everyone in the clinic suddenly got one. I would guess someone finally sued them and all of a sudden, they decided it was important.

Iain, congrats! Looks impressive and important. Can't understand it.

Went to an orthopedist  ... (upcoming images in spoiler tags for the squeemish) ...

Right knee swelled up at the weekend limiting articulation - with no obvious prior cause / trauma.

Joanne said you need to get someone to look at that.

So,

Before  ( one of these Knee's is not like the others, one of these knee's is not the same ) ...

post-545-0-96681400-1381351372_thumb.jpg

Had something like this previously in the UK (20 years ago), "Free at the point of delivery" but lots of waiting between stages

Here , same day digital X-Rays (no mechanical damage / issues), consult, + aspiration ...

My That's a lot of fluid ...

post-545-0-59157200-1381351394_thumb.jpg

140ml .. That's a decent restaurant wine glass ...

post-545-0-04928500-1381351452_thumb.jpg

Much better - off to be cultured - results back in 5 days or so , and possibly an MRI  .....

Fun eh?

Edited by Grahame

Thanks guys.  I don't blame anyone for having a hard time with all the jargon.

Basically we had a bunch of georeferenced tissue samples from elk and white-tailed deer, genotyped them, and looked for spatial genetic structure in the respective populations.  We found that the elk population was structured, and the deer population was not, indicating that deer might be a problem for spreading bovine tuberculosis over long distances.  That's it, in a nutshell.  Now you don't have to read it.  :)

At this point in my life, I sort of doubt if I'll finish my MSc thesis (who knew that having kids would make a guy so busy?), but it's nice to have a bit of closure in the form of a publication.  Let's drink.

Actually, the prednisone has dramatically improved my thumb and knee/ankle. Maybe they will stay improved.

I usually get a week or two of feeling good, then a slow decline, and after about 4-5 months, pain comes back re: prednisone.

That first couple of weeks is what made me realize I'm constantly in pain. I thought that was just normal, until I wasn't in pain for a while.

G'luck.

**BRENT**

I took a mental health day today.  I hadn't been feeling well for a couple of days and didn't have much scheduled today so I decided that rather than get really sick I'd try to get some rest and take care of a few things around the house before the long weekend.  I woke up feeling much better than yesterday and almost went to work.  I'm glad I didn't.  Time to go mail a few packages, one of which is overdue to be headed to Texas for experiments with maths.

• Like 3