And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Sympathies for Ozzy.  Hope his last several weeks/months/??? are comfortable and relatively painless and high in the quality-of-life department.  My last several years with Luvbug were very subdued (she spent very little of that time energetic), but I like to think that her quality of life was pampered-high during that time.  I wouldn't trade them (other than -- maybe -- the last day or two) for anything.

Me:  funeral, MODC.  Epic win, I kid you not.  EPIC WIN.  Got to see a lot of good people, and share in some very good memories and socializing.  And more quality hugs than I can count.

I normally hate funerals.  Especially of the highly religious variety -- I just don't know (as a hardcore atheist) how to fit in, and there was only one person and one moment that made me feel out of place, otherwise everyone was very positive and very nice.  I even enjoyed (!!!) the screaming babies.  It seemed like a celebration of life.

• Like 4

There was an armed robbery at a small store in Little Cayman today.  Mind you, Little Cayman has a population of only 125 people, so where did they think they would go?  Turns out it was 5 Jamaicans who arrived by boat (what they call a 'canoe' but not the type that I'm familiar with, apparently with an out board motor and capable of moving through rough seas at high speeds).  So, of course, people saw them leave and called Grand Cayman, and within an hour the helicopter spotted them and the marine unit picked them up.  Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of that Ocean's 11 planning session.  Let's see, gas to go 160 miles each way, rob a small gift shop and split the take 5 ways.  Can't wait to see who these professors are.

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 1

What Nate said Dusty.

For me, I went to the oral surgeon to have a tooth extracted. Right before Thanksgiving. Ugh. Thank His Noodly Appendage for Tylenol 3 with codeine. I was going to wait until after but it got painful on me and it had to be done. Now I have a couple of months wait and then an implant install. Additional dental work is also in my future. All because I hate dentists. I am trying to change this.

Dusty, glad there was a silver lining!

In fact, a couple of weeks ago I attended a memorial service for the wife of an old friend of mine who died of breast cancer at the young age of 51. I hadn't kept in touch with my buddy very much or our mutual friends.

And just like you, after the formal service which was massively sad, i bumped into one old friend after another and had more great hugs than I've had in 2 decades. At the reception, I went from one friend to the next to "catch up" and stayed way longer than I would've ever guessed.

When I think back, I still feel a little guilty about having such a damn good time while my buddy was in pieces but knowing him and his wife, they would be glad that the service brought us all back together again.

It makes me feel better to hear that you had a similar experience.

For me, I went to the oral surgeon to have a tooth extracted. Right before Thanksgiving. Ugh. Thank His Noodly Appendage for Tylenol 3 with codeine. I was going to wait until after but it got painful on me and it had to be done. Now I have a couple of months wait and then an implant install. Additional dental work is also in my future. All because I hate dentists. I am trying to change this.

I too hated dentists based on the sadistic asshole dentist that made me suffer as a kid, and I paid for it with a lot of dental work after years of neglect.  I am not perfect about dental hygiene by any stretch, but after realizing that not all dentists are named Dr. Mengele, I started going regularly and have had few problems ever since.  I still dislike the experience, but routine stuff is far preferable to the alternative.  Good luck with your current and future procedures.

Sorry to hear of dental nightmares....my dad was my dentist growing up, so never had fear or a bad experience.  Still practices, and my sister is a hygienist.  But the office is just far enough away that it takes up a whole day to visit, so i go local now.  It's like my dad's office, a bit old school (but with modern tools) and full of decorum that was popular in the 1970's......

Been lucky that, even though I've needed work, it was done pain-free, even without novocaine.  First time I had it was for a shallow filling and I asked my dad to give me some because I was having my wisdom teeth out in a couple weeks (did local for that).  I might be one of the few screwballs who actually enjoyed his wisdom teeth experience!

Jacob, that is kind of cool info, re: hard teeth and not harboring the bacteria....

Yeah, we have to give our cat antacid along with the steroids for that reason.  I've been giving her vitamin B12 injections as well, but I think that is more for the arthritis than the stomach issues.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  Enjoy your time with him. :(

Gastric acid blocking agents can lead to a b12 deficiency, which can lead to anemia and neurological disorders. The steroids irritate the gastric lining, hence the need for the antacids, which lower the b12 levels.

The steroids will have the biggest effect with helping the arthritis, while the antacids are likely to treat the steroid side effects, and the B12 is to treat the side effects of the meds treating the first side effects. Just my pediatric hypothesis projected onto cats.

• Like 1

He's had pretty severe gut issues for the last week, and the vet won't prescribe steroids because they irritate the stomach lining.  We're just going to give him boiled beef and rice, because it's easier to swallow than what he usually eats.  He's on a narcotic for pain, now, but he seems to be having more and more trouble with respiration, noticeable even between yesterday and today - maybe his lymph nodes are enlarging to the point that they're impacting his trachea and esophagus, I don't know.

Sorry about his suffering, and hope he has more good days. Narcotics can suppress respiratory rate and depth, and make the upper airway muscles more slack so that airways can collapse more easily, leading to snoring, apnea or strider. It may be possible to try different body positions at rest to improve breathing, or adjusting the medication dose by 10-20% lower.