And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Oak trees have deep taproots as an adaptation to drought. At least the species we have here does - YMMV I guess.

I just voted in our federal election. I don't care who wins, as long as our current governing party loses (opinion polls have been looking favourable). All the opposition parties are promising democratic reform, which would be outstanding.

Just checked my 401k for the first time since June (I took a cash distribution then).

I kind of peered with one eye at my account in fear of what it might look like.

For the year, it's down .16%. So after the roller coaster ride, the difference is just noticeable.

Whew!

We're down about 3-4% still...

Edited by HeadphoneAddict

That may or may not be true.  Even if true, that's only useful if you had no need to take a disbursement over that time period. Many managed funds were certainly outperforming it during the great recession.  My mother, for instance, lost about 12% 2007-2009.  The S&P lost over 50% of its value during that period.  She needed to take some disbursements during that time.  Having non-index funds was a good idea for her, then.

And I wasn't necessarily even talking about managed funds, in the traditional sense, when I talked about diverse investing strategies.  Having money split between index funds and bonds in various countries can make a big difference.  

I am not saying don't diversify, just that managed funds are almost always a bad deal.  I have a combination of S&P and whole market funds, plus  emerging markets.  I have 20+ years until retirement.  If I were within 5 years of retirement, it would be almost entirely government bonds.