And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Al, happy to hear your mom seems to be improving. 3 yrs ago my mother-in-law was in a nursing home for 3 months after she broke her hip and last year for a month after open heart surgery. It's a tough time for both family and Mom. Glad to hear she is improving and hoping she makes it back home.

Al, glad that your mother is improving.

My dad fell and broke his other hip around Labor Day last year and has been in the nursing home ever since getting out of the hospital. He has dementia as well, and since he hasn't managed to get up and walk by himself, I'm pretty sure he won't be getting out of the nursing home. I remember playing golf with him 10 years ago... sad to see him go downhill this fast, but he's never really been the same since a car accident around 2004 when some lady ran a light and broadsided he and my mom.

Are you back for good Stretch?

Dan, glad no tornadoes showed up!

Thanks for all the support, everybody. I don't have high hopes for the long run, but it is nice to have her back mentally for now. Sorry to hear that about your dad, Chris. That's a lot of tough stuff to handle with dementia and no mobility.

Welcome home Citizen Stretch!

Al, glad that your mother is improving.

My dad fell and broke his other hip around Labor Day last year and has been in the nursing home ever since getting out of the hospital. He has dementia as well, and since he hasn't managed to get up and walk by himself, I'm pretty sure he won't be getting out of the nursing home. I remember playing golf with him 10 years ago... sad to see him go downhill this fast, but he's never really been the same since a car accident around 2004 when some lady ran a light and broadsided he and my mom.

Are you back for good Stretch?

Dan, glad no tornadoes showed up!

Wow, sorry to hear about your Dad, Chris! Those broken hips are really awful; just really debilitating. :(

I used to do consults for dementia units at nursing homes. It's their recent memory that goes first, so oddly, they can often recall memories from long ago with precise detail and not recall what they had for lunch yesterday. I really enjoyed hearing their stories from long ago, and they seemed to really enjoy telling them. Once, I saw an old audio hobbyist, and he'd tell me about the old wind up Victrola, the tube equipment (he had no particular love for them, it was just what they had), and 'the old wireless' which was a radio that would require him to move a wire along a quartz crystal to change the frequency. (At least I think I remember that ... maybe someone here can correct me.)

The funny thing is that they don't even sell the product they sent me (according to their website).

Interesting, they're the ones that sold me my USB 3.0 Expresscard through Amazon. It seems to only run about 40% faster than Firewire 800 with my external Seagate flexdrive, plus it needs a cable to draw power from a USB port because it doesn't have enough power on it's own. So I was going to return it but I missed the "14 day from purchase" deadline and I guess I'm stuck with it. Called today but they closed by 3:30 mtn time.

Why did you think usb3 in an expresscard port would be more than 40% faster? I mean damn, wtf? 40% is a pretty fucking big improvement in speed.

I thought the Expresscard slots had a 1.5 or 3.0 Gbps speed limit, which is around 200-400% faster than FW800, but I could be mistaken. I know that is theoretical under the best conditions. Real life performance doesn't ever seem to be as fast as claimed, so I should know better.

I thought the Expresscard slots had a 1.5 or 3.0 Gbps speed limit, which is around 200-400% faster than FW800, but I could be mistaken. I know that is theoretical under the best conditions. Real life performance doesn't ever seem to be as fast as claimed, so I should know better.

At those interface speeds, you're mostly limited to the speed of the drive. I'd check the drive's stated read/write speed (not the interface speed) to see what you should realistically expect.

My wife had been looking to change her work due to horrible commute (amongst other things) and found out today that she will be getting a job offer at a place that is only 15 or so minutes away (compared to 45 minutes to an hour commute for her current work). While she's excited, she's trying to figure out a tactful way to ask for some time to decide on the offer (assuming the details of the offer is good enough) as she's got couple more interviews coming up next week.

She'll probably use something along that line. She'd wait for couple of days, but the person left her both her personal home & cell number - it appears that they really want my wife for the job. Unfortunately, she can't really leverage that into improving the offer since it's a public school job. At least she'll get to have a summer off next year. :)