And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

^ This. Plus, damn missed another one.

Edit (from /.): "Some power lines down in western Contra Costa County, but Bay Area bridges appeared to be fine, according to the California Highway Patrol. There were widespread reports of power outages, gas leaks and flooding in the North Bay, with at least 15,000 Pacific Gas and Electric Co. customers without power in Vallejo, Napa, Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa and Sonoma."

9865469bbc05b3f40959ac098e8167fc.jpg

Edited by blessingx

News channels now have reports on the damage in Napa, and closer to the epicenter. Old brick buildings did not fare so well, and plenty of broken glass / windows as the buildings 'flexed'. Ruptured gas / water mains / power outages. No damage here Chez Graim. Strongest seismic event while I've been here in the Bay Area, yet smaller / closer events have been felt more strongly at my location. Time to review the "Go Bag" / disaster recovery / zombie apocalypse plans. Glad fellow Bay Area residents, and Mikey's reserves are OK.

From their FB Page

https://www.facebook.com/russianriverbrewing

"If you have not seen the news, we had a wild ride here in the North Bay this morning. There was a 6.1 earthquake centered in American Canyon just south of Napa, about 28 miles from here. Everything is fine in Santa Rosa, but Downtown Napa is a mess. Damaged buildings, broken water mains, downed chimneys, and several injuries. That was the largest earthquake in this area since the Loma Prieta quake during the 1989 World Series. Sending well wishes to our neighbors in Napa! We are okay here."

Head Casers can sip easy, it would appear.

Edited by Grahame

My sister's house is a complete mess (Napa). Her chimney collapsed, almost everything destroyed, but no injuries which is what matters. I didn't even feel it in San Jose. I was in the last quake in Napa, a 5.1, we were very close to the epicenter. It dumped everything from the cupboards, chimney's collapsed on the street next to us, etc. It was very dramatic to wake up to. My sister said this one was 10 times worse. threw her mattress off the box springs with them on it, etc, etc.

Glad everyone here was far enough from the epicenter. I'm hoping the wineries didn't dump too much wine. This is going to be a pricey one. 

Yeezh.  Glad to hear no major injuries yet.  But yeah, I've seen some horrific pictures on Facebook of wine cellars with >50% of the bottles dumped on the ground. 

Me:  slept 'til fucking 3pm -- haven't done that in weeks...wth?  Woke up to a charley horse.  Fuck, I hate those things.  Off to the store to get some bananas.

A news story I saw today said that about 10% of the homeowners in Napa have quake insurance.

While that might seem crazy, the insurance companies were forced to offer earthquake insurance but they don't like to.

So, the deductibles are more than most repairs (like a chimney going through your roof into your livingroom).

Only newish houses "qualify" for insurance and after a claim is made, any current building code that hasn't been followed lowers the insurance claim.

Most folks I know who went through Loma Prieta consider money better spent on upgrading to make your home able to withstand a stronger quake than on insurance.