And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Good news Nate!  The last well isn't likely to dry up in our lifetime.  :)   If it were me I would be looking for a 2011/2012 no matter what I was purchasing.  Karyl prefers to buy them new and keep forever.

Thanks Ken!  The Mazda 6 is in the mix.  

After driving and looking at several vehicles and devouring reviews Karyl chose the Ford Fusion SE with the 1.5L eco boost engine in Sunset.  Car will be here Wednesday.  Tricked out with the options she considers important.  Since it is her vehicle my opinion doesn't matter, but I would have chosen the same.  You could flip a coin and choose a Mazda 6 or Camry, but this works for us.  Those three are pretty close.

I have not paid more than invoice for any vehicle since 1997.  This deal was $2300 under invoice.  Don't really know if that is considered good or not, but I'm happy with the deal.  Nothing like real world negotiation skills honed in West Michigan.  I learned through baptism by fire so to speak.  

Just hope she is as happy with this as the '93 Accord Limited Edition & 02 GTZ.  

• Like 1

I was at the Beijing auto show this last weekend (for the crazies) and got to sit in the driver's seats of a bunch of offerings while Chinese children excitedly pressed their faces against every glass surface in the building.

I realized that I really like the layout of the new Ford Focus ST.  It might not be a better car than the WRX, but it feels way different than any Ford I grew up with.

Good on Ford for weathering the storm and consistently making cars people want to buy irrespective of their feelings on America.

It may not be a faster car than the WRX, but I think it might be a better car.  

I've read this sentiment elsewhere, from folks who should know.  I prefer the interior fit n' finish and the general aesthetic, plus I don't run the Nurburgring Nordschleife very often.  If it's more fun <60 mph in or in between urban areas, it's more fun for me.

I have a racing buddy who had a GT-R, Vette, S2k, STi... Now he has a Focus ST and loves it. The guy be bought it from was a friend who had a dealership and has raced BMWs since the 80s, and Porsches, Vettes, 350z/370z, etc. He kinda regrets letting the Focus ST go. The Fiesta ST is also seemingly rather fun.

**BRENT**

Anyone know of a website that given a departure airport searches in the future to find cheapest flights? I need to also restrict airline, etc. I tried a few but all I found had annoying glitches, like not being comprehensive or not having all the results on the same page for easy comparison..

My sister got the Ford Fiesta -- which is the Mazda3's biggest competition in the same way as the Fusion is to the Mazda6.  Good call!

Actually, the Mazda2 and Ford Fiesta are competitors.  The Ford Focus is the competitor to the Mazda3.

I was at the Beijing auto show this last weekend (for the crazies) and got to sit in the driver's seats of a bunch of offerings while Chinese children excitedly pressed their faces against every glass surface in the building.

I realized that I really like the layout of the new Ford Focus ST.  It might not be a better car than the WRX, but it feels way different than any Ford I grew up with.

Good on Ford for weathering the storm and consistently making cars people want to buy irrespective of their feelings on America.

I bought my Mazda3 at Perry Ford Mazda here in Santa Barbara.  I first drove a Focus (Platinum, I believe).  I was very impressed.  This definitely wasn't my daddy's Ford.  Then I drove a Mazda3 with the 2.5l engine.  As good as the Ford was, the Mazda was slightly better in every way that was important to me.

The Ford Mazda collaboration has worked well for Ford (and for Mazda).  I suspect that Ford is regretting selling their 33% (and controlling) share in Mazda and then later cancelling their collaboration agreement.  Mazda learned a lot about what big-time car manufacturers must do while keeping true to their "zoom zoom" philosophy.  The look to be well placed for the future.

Anyone know of a website that given a departure airport searches in the future to find cheapest flights? I need to also restrict airline, etc. I tried a few but all I found had annoying glitches, like not being comprehensive or not having all the results on the same page for easy comparison..

Marc, sorry I am not sure what you mean completely but perhaps this?

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

does not meet all your criteria but is workable.

One of the Athletic Directors at PSU drives a hybrid Fusion and it seems like a really nice car.

I have given up on finding a car.  It seems like the quality has dropped dramatically as the prices have risen.  I would have thought the price for the $68k Audi S5 Cabriolet I drove would be around $40k at most after driving it / experiencing the interior.  The Porsche Panamera 4S is the only car I drove that I liked, but I cannot get over the looks.  Drives brilliantly though for a big sedan.  I did love the dealer write up for the car "Load your family into the 2014 Porsche Panamera! This is an excellent vehicle at an affordable price!" at $117,895.   ??? 

I am just going to keep driving my old beater.

• Like 1