RIP someone or another

Wmcmanus

Very sad end, and a terrible affliction.

You hit it on the head, Stretch.  

I know that some of our friends here at Headcase have lost brothers and sisters and cousins and other close friends and relatives to this terrible affliction, and it's never easy to deal with yet another situation like this where someone who had so much to live for... but just couldn't shake it... is now gone.

So I think more than anything, I posted this to say sorry for your losses, as well.

You hit it on the head, Stretch.  

I know that some of our friends here at Headcase have lost brothers and sisters and cousins and other close friends and relatives to this terrible affliction, and it's never easy to deal with yet another situation like this where someone who had so much to live for... but just couldn't shake it... is now gone.

So I think more than anything, I posted this to say sorry for your losses, as well.

Sorry for the loss of your friend Wayne. And thanks for this post. I lost my two older brothers to alcoholism. It is a horrible thing, as at the end my brother Chuck hated me and we ended in a bad way. I'm still in conflict over his passing, ten years later. Your words ring true. I looked up to my brothers, and this disease consumed them. I know I drink, but I also know I am not like them. Life is too important to let it go that easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry for the loss of your friend Wayne. And thanks for this post. I lost my two older brothers to alcoholism. It is a horrible thing, as at the end my brother Chuck hated me and we ended in a bad way. I'm still in conflict over his passing, ten years later. Your words ring true. I looked up to my brothers, and this disease consumed them. I know I drink, but I also know I am not like them. Life is too important to let it go that easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously rough thing for families to have to deal with, sometimes for years on end, and then to have to go through it all twice... I just can't imagine.  Keep the good memories of your times with your brothers in your heart, as I'm sure you do, and keep on living as best you know how.  As you say, some of us are blessed more so than others in terms of tolerance and the ability to keep it under control.

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Flip Saunders.

1489847627599923883.jpg

Everyone I've heard speak of him always mentioned what a great guy he was before they ever talked about his basketball acumen. It is very sad that he is gone.

The NBA family has lost a lot of good people in the last 12 months.

Fuck cancer.

^ Geez!  I had seen that he was stepping down temporarily this season to get some medical treatment, but I didn't realize it was cancer or late stage cancer at that... watched a bunch of Wolves games on TV last year because I like to follow Andrew Wiggins, and he seemed to have a ton of respect from the players and everyone in the organization and around the league.  But, short answer is... fuck cancer.

• Like 1

Found out from our neighbors in India that Mr. Sundaram, my math tutor, passed away earlier this week of old age. He was 99. He was a retired Indian Air Force pilot and a retired professor at IIT (India's MIT). 

Up until 6th grade, I used to get A's in every class except for math and it turned into a problem in 6th grade when my teacher refused to let me slide by with less than mediocre grades. My parents found a tutor and I was told I needed to seek help. Going to a tutor in India was considered in a very negative light. I still remember walking up to him tiny home and being left at the door. He welcomed me in, taught me the first chapter and asked me to do the problems. I made my first of two mistakes with him by asking him which ones. He replied, "what do you mean which ones? All of them." Then he went back to tapping his fingers on the side of his chair while 3 other students and I started doing the problems. A few minutes later, I made the second mistake by asking him to help me with a problem I couldn't solve. He looked at me and said that he had already taught me the lesson and there were no tricks. I protested saying I didn't know how to solve it. He asked me how many times I had read the question. Irritated, I replied with some stupid number. He calmly said give it a few more readings. After 5 minutes of grinding my teeth and not really reading the question, I asked him again. He replied with the same response as earlier - read it a few more times, you will get it. The other 3 kids laughed at me under their breaths. I went home pissed thinking my parents were paying this guy to help me with math and he just sat there playing with his fingers and I was to go to him for an hour every freaking day and for two hours on weekends. I remember waking up in the middle of the night that night, scribbling down the answer to the question and proudly took it to him the following evening. Expecting praise, I walked in with a smug look and proclaimed that I had solved the question. He looked at it and said, "good. Now finish the other 119 problems in this chapter so you can go on to the next chapter. You have a lot to make up before you get to where the others' are."

In the three and a half years I worked with him before leaving India, I asked him 3 questions after that first day (he answered only 2 of them). He taught me a lot of math but more importantly he taught how to think on my own and not give up if I couldn't find the solution in the first few attempts. He showed me how math could be incredibly beautiful and elegant. He taught me how to be patient not just with others but with myself. After working with him, I went from barely passing math in 6th grade to the 5th highest scorer in the 10th grade national board exam for math in all of India. It remains one of my proudest accomplishments to date.

RIP Mr. SS. Thank you for all that you taught me and for being the most wonderful teacher I ever had. 

• Like 10

Condolences, C.J. and RIP Mr S.S.

Unexpected news about Flip Saunders.  I thought that the original prognosis two months ago was positive.  Fuck cancer.

Last and certainly not least, RIP Maureen O'Hara, who passed yesterday.  She starred in several of my favorite movies and may be the best actress never nominated for an Academy Award.  The list of surviving actors from the Golden Age of Hollywood is diminishing. :(