And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Day one of the candy cane giveaway adventures. 

So last year about this time I bought nearly 2,000 candy canes at closeout prices. Assured by my fellow Santa friends that they would keep well in cool dry places for at least a year, I figured I'd get a year's supply and be ahead of the curve. Then of course completely forgot about them until about a week before Christmas. Big massive Glad bags full of them in a closet... and indeed they did keep well.

But now I want to get rid of them, so we're hitting the beaches and my elves are helping. Like Oprah, "You get a candy cane! You get a candy cane! Everyone gets a candy cane!" 

Think we gave out about 500 of them today. I've got another crew of elves all set to go for Saturday, and it's a fun way to reconnect with people and to allow them to share in the joy of being elves for the kids. 

Top down on the way back to town from Rum Point.

15726657_10155098814028974_5932510087686492011_n.jpg

• Like 4

Ok, so not today but the other day... fucked up my JH13.

Long story short, I dropped the right earbud on a tile floor. It cracked and it's now hollow sounding when I flick it with my finger (no, not that way, Steve!). Can they be rebuilt or repaired? I'm sure it will sound fine, though I'm afraid to test it, and it will probably stay intact for some time, but there is a crack in the middle of it that goes half way across... pic would help, I suppose. Just think it would need to be remolded somehow for strength.

So the long story is that I use only the left earbud for my "Smart Santa" routine, where I'm getting information from the parents about their kids (names, ages, what they want for Christmas, or what they got last year, anything else they want to tell me). It's the same thing that faith healers do by getting people to eavesdrop on conversations and then relay that information to the guy in the pulpit. (Not that Santa should be associated with such snakes!).

Ok, so my season is over and I'm home from a 34 hour shift, straight through the night with sneak a peek visits and all through the morning and into the evening on the 25th, and instead of just jumping in the shower and going to bed, I decided it would be a good time to reunite the L and R earbuds on the JH13 before finally putting them away. Of course, something I could have done at any time and anywhere, and not necessarily while wobbling through my bathroom with a tile floor! Maybe after sleeping for about 18 hours and then sitting on my bed in the room with carpeting...

Fuck...

Edited by Wmcmanus

Yeah, once it dies twice within a week, I'd say it probably doesn't hold charge no mo'.  Depending on what you got when you bought it, they should give you a mostly/partial refund if it's less than a year old, just like tires.  (It's been a while since I've done that -- the car usually goes before the battery -- so if they don't do that no mo', you didn't hear it from me.)

This is the third battery the Fit has had.  In 3 years.  First two were whatever Honda uses.  A year ago I could have had it replaced under warrantee again, but opted to go to a local mechanic shop and get the best they had (which was an Interstate.)  It was like $180 for the [gosh darn] battery.  The problem is the Fit has a tiny fucking battery (like 360 CCA) and I store it outside, in New England.  I'd love to retrofit a 450 CCA battery in there, but that is beyond my ability.  I just ponied up $110 for a Swiss mate (WTF ever that means) car charger.  

I'd pour myself a drink at this interim, but after what two "non alcoholic" (.5%) beers did to me this summer, I'm afraid any of the Scotch in my house would fucking kill me.

What Nate said. Have the Honda dealer check the charging system and if they don't find anything wrong there, see if they can determine if there is some drain on the battery when the car is off. 3 batteries in 3 years is way excessive. I would have expected 1 battery to last at least that long.

Many batteries are really made by the same manufacturer. I've been using the Everstart Maxx from Walmart in our cars for a few years and they have been economical and reliable. And I normally shudder at the thought of going there (Mobil One and the batteries is about it).

Reading some of the Honda sites, the 51R is the recommended larger battery to go in there. Batteries such as the Walmart Everstart Maxx have a 60 month warranty, and they replace the battery outright for the first 3 years, then prorate after that.

Edited by Pars

5 hours ago, Wmcmanus said:

Ok, so not today but the other day... fucked up my JH13.

Long story short, I dropped the right earbud on a tile floor. It cracked and it's now hollow sounding when I flick it with my finger (no, not that way, Steve!). Can they be rebuilt or repaired? I'm sure it will sound fine, though I'm afraid to test it, and it will probably stay intact for some time, but there is a crack in the middle of it that goes half way across... pic would help, I suppose. Just think it would need to be remolded somehow for strength.

Yes, they can be repaired.  I did the exact same thing a few years back and my left earpiece met the tile floor at Office Depot.  Same symptoms and all they had to do was either replace the woofer or tweeter.  If you have the older JH13pro, maybe it is time to get an upgrade to the Freqphase model while at the repair shop.  The bad thing is the down time.  It took mine couple of weeks if not three.  The repair was under $200 for me...can't remember about the cost of the upgrade.

Edited by purk
  • Like 2

Regarding battery, our daughter had precisely the same problem in her Ford Fiesta. Fine for a week or two, then totally dead until started on cables. Fine for a week or two - repeat as necessary.

Turned out to be the battery. Apparently modern batteries can do this, caused by an intermittent short (or open) circuit inside. The dead one was the original battery, fitted when the car was new.

1 hour ago, purk said:

Yes, they can be repaired.  I did the exact same thing a few years back and my left earpiece met the tile floor at Office Depot.  Same symptoms and all they had to do was either replace the woofer or tweeter.  If you have the older JH13pro, maybe it is time to get an upgrade to the Freqphase model while at the repair shop.  The bad thing is the down time.  It took mine couple of weeks if not three.  The repair was under $200 for me...can't remember about the cost of the upgrade.

Thanks, this is good news! 

• Like 2