And now what did you do TODAY?

morphsci

Touching my tragus sounds dirty.

She said inner ear. Touching of tragus has inflicted pain in past could of days. She says it's right behind the eardrum, and that the amoxicillin should take care of that.

Supposed to see her again in a week or so when this round of meds runs its course. Pain worsened and let off from last night til this morning, and hearing is down, but not the "deaf" feeling like I had earlier.

No vertigo that I have noticed.

Thanks for all your help!

**BRENT**

Just finished up antibiotics round and had follow up part 3. Redness is gone, pain is gone, still some "stuff", so they're finding me an ENT on Monday to go see.

Yay.

**BRENT**

Hand iPhone to doctor, done.

Me, yesterday:  went and visited my mother.  She looked at me, but could hardly change facial expression, much less communicate.  I posited a theory to my sister (primary caretaker) that it was allergies, and apparently she's been off allergy medicine and was immediately put back on.  Yay, me.  We'll still have to wait and see if this has any effect.

I did get her to smile by showing her a video of Bobby, so she's still in there.

So i run web sites for some non profits near NIH.  Today I not only received a solicitation from a prospective web designer, but she informed me that her hourly rate is close to what I get for time and a half overtime.  The cherry on top?  Her 'resume' is a facebook page.

Haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Please take my job!  

Edited by aardvark baguette

Picked up Julie's mom from the airport today around 4am. Drive up to wake up the girls around 6am and breakfast in bed was demanded. They asked nicely so I complied. We watched random tv in bed while everyone woke up. Helped Julie with some math and then cleaned the house. Made some chicken for lunch and then fired off some emails and read for a bit while everyone took a nap. Went for a short walk with Julie as the sun was going down. Came back and made tacos for dinner. Everyone loved them. Then some chemistry review with Julie. Got the 9 year old to say tetraphosphorustrisulphidedecahydrate and then she wouldn't stop saying it until we agreed to play a board game with her. She brought down something to do with Disney movies which I lost miserably at. Grandma kicked everyone's ass. It was time to wind down so I finally got 5 minutes alone with Julie which we spent on the couch in silence next to each other. As I was driving home I felt a sense of peace and calm I haven't felt in many years. I felt happy. Not the ephemeral fleeting burst but a slow continuous wave that keeps washing over you for a very long time.

It was one of the best days I have had for as long as I can remember.

I am tired but I don't want to fall asleep.

Happy enough to where I don't even mind posting this goofy picture Julie took just before the Patino

Girls kicked my ass.

N1yoljW.jpg

I hope everyone had a lovely day. :)

• Like 1

I managed to burn out a TMP36 temperature sensor chip.  This happened Thursday.  Here's the story.

In an attempt to both wake up my brain cells and learn something useful, I recently bought this Arduino start up kit from Amazon.  I've been doing the examples without problems until I got to a circuit that used a photo resistor to control the brightness of an LED (using PWM) such that the brighter the ambient light, the brighter the LED.  I built up the circuit as described in the guide, and my circuit worked, kind of.  The LED got darker as the ambient light got brighter.  I checked out the schematic and it looked to be correct.  It uses a voltage divider to convert the changing resistance of the photo resistor to voltage.  So then I looked more closely at the circuit guide, which which tells what electrical components are needed and how to wire them up in the prototype breadboard.  Lo and behold, it had photo resistor on the wrong side of the voltage divider.  Putting it on the correct side fixed the problem.  I thought, "what lousy quality control" and then moved on.  I should have remembered the lesson.

The very next circuit is the temperature sensor circuit.  It's a very simple circuit where the +5 from the Arduino card is connected to the +5 pin of the T36, the GND of the card is connected to the TMP36 GND pin and the sensor TMP36 sensor pin is connected to an analog sensor pin.  I verified that the circuit guide accurately reflected the schematic (it did) and hooked it up.  However, when I powered up the Arduino board, the indicated temperatures were about 20F less than the ambient temperature.  I lightly pinched the TMP36 to increase its heat and the indicated temperatures rose over time, but were still too low.  The TMP36 chip is +-2% accurate, so I new that I either had a bad chip or something was wrong with the circuit.  I found the data sheet and discovered that the manual from the kit had the +5 and GND pins reversed.  At least it was consistent in this. :palm:

So I unpowered the board, reversed the TMP36 and powered the board back up.  Success, the temperatures were now correct.  I did something else for about 5 min and everything was still working.  So off I went for a shower.  When I came back, the indicated temps were in the 450F range, I could smell something burning and the TMP36 chip was way too hot to touch.  I verified that the +5V of the Arduino was still putting out 5V, so all I can think is that the TMP36 chip has shorted.  I'll be buying a new TMP36 chip just to satisfy my curiosity.

Sorry for the long post, but mainly I want to warn anybody buying this kit to verify everything in the manual before applying power to your board.  I will be for the rest of the example circuits and any circuits I create in the future.

Edit:  Here is the Guidebook in question.  The pertinent circuits are #6 and #7.  I looked at the pdf from the website and it still has the problem.  So beware of the contents of this Guidebook.  I will say that the presentation is great and this would be a top-flight product if the information was reliable.

Edited by guzziguy